THE EASTERN VIRGINIA CHINESE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of the organization shall be known as The Eastern Virginia Chinese American Association, hereafter referred to as the “Association”, or abbreviated as “EVCAA.” It is a non-profit and non-political organization.
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE
Section I. EVCAA’s mission is to serve the Chinese Americans residing in the Hampton Roads region by creating and sponsoring social and educational programs.
Section II. The purposes of EVCAA are to promote Chinese cultural, intellectual, and social activities for the local Chinese Communities; to enhance the Chinese heritage and its cultural awareness; to strengthen the friendship with the other Chinese and American associations.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP, MMEBERSHIP DUES, AND PRIVILEGES
Section I. Regular Members: Open to all Chinese and Chinese Americans.
Section II. Guest Members: Open to all individuals who have a keen interest in the Chinese culture and society.
Section III. Student Members: Open to all students as defined by Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (must meet all three criteria proposed by IRS).
Section IV. Honorary Members: Shall be nominated by any of the Regular Members and approved by two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Board. An Honorary Member shall be someone who has made a significant contribution to the Chinese American Community, and/or to the Association.
Section V. Membership Dues and Privileges
The membership fees shall be paid annually and shall be paid upon the date of the General Assembly (see Article VII, Section I). Applicants for new membership shall pay their dues upon approval of their applications. Student and Honorary members can be waived for their membership fees. Any member may terminate his/her membership voluntarily upon delivery of a written notification to the Board. No refund of membership fees will be made.
All Regular, Student, and Honorary Members shall have the right to vote and to be elected to the Board of the Association. All Members shall have the right to access the resources of the Association and participate in all activities sponsored by the Association.
Section VI. Liability: No member shall be personally liable for any incident, accident or injury that may occur during EVCAA organized or sponsored events, nor for any debts or obligations of the Association.
ARTICLE IV. THE BOARD AND THE OFFICERS OF THE ASSOCIATION
Section I. The EVCAA Board shall consist of eleven (11) officers, which include President, Vice President, Event Co-Chairs, Membership Co-Chairs, Public Relations Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. All officers shall be elected for a two-year term that begins in the month of March following the election, and ends in February two years hence. No officer shall serve more than three (3) consecutive terms.
Section II. Board members shall meet regularly. Three (3) unexcused absence in any calendar year may result in removal from the Board.
Section III. Any officer may be removed from the Board by two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Board, which will be conducted at a meeting in person or by proxy. All written proxy votes must be received no later than two (2) days prior to the meeting.
Section IV. Any officer may resign from the Board by notifying the President in writing at least seven (7) days in advance.
Section V. The Board shall have the authority to select new officers to fill vacancies resulting from events including, but not limited to, resignation or removal. Each new officer shall be selected from the unelected candidate with the highest number of votes from the most recent election. In the event that the President resigns or is removed, the Board shall appoint Vice President as acting President until the end of the current term.
Section VI. The Board shall organize a general election open to all general Members at the time of the General Assembly (see ARTICLE VII, Section I). The announcement of the election should be made by the Board no less than two (2) months prior to the General Assembly. The candidacy for a Board position shall be selected by the Board no less than one (1) month before the General Assembly. Any members excluding Guest Members may nominate someone or themselves as candidates for any open positions. Voting in the general election shall be held by secret ballot. The candidates will be ranked by number of votes received. The vacancies will be filled by the candidates receiving the most votes and continuing until all vacant positions are filled. The Board may, in its own discretion, authorize the use of proxy for such election. The proxy has to be received by the pre-determined deadlines.
ARTICLE V. DUITES OF THE OFFICERS
Section I. The President
- Shall lead the overall operation and programs of EVCAA to establish and achieve its goals
- Make officer appointments as needed and delegate specific responsibilities to officers with the concurrence of two-thirds (2/3) of majority of the Board members
- Responsible for the establishment and enhancement of relationships to other societies and associations
- Preside and call for Board and general membership meetings
- Co-sign any checks in excess of $500 and approve all reimbursement requests
Section II. The Vice President
- Shall assist the President in the performance of all his/her duties and other duties as may be prescribed by the President
- Assume the President’s position for the rest of his/her term in the event of the absence or premature termination of the President
Section III. The Event Co-Chairs
- Coordinate the planning and execution of programs scheduled by the Board
- Solicit volunteers from among the general membership for the scheduled events
Section IV. The Membership Co-Chairs
- Process Membership applications, maintain and update the Membership Directory and Database
- Recruit new members and leaders, disseminate the information and newsletter about the Association to potential new members
- Report quarterly to the Board on membership statistics
Section V. The Public Relations Chair
- Serve as EVCAA’s liaison for all external entities
- Create and maintain the most effective media, include but not limited to, website and newsletters, for the Association
- Help plan and execute programs and provide any inputs and feedbacks to the Board
Section VI. The Secretary
- Take minutes of each meeting, including all motions and votes
- Maintain all the records of the Association, include but not limited to meeting minutes, appointments, and general correspondences
- Prepare agenda and disseminate it to all the officers
- Serve as historian and custodian of the Association’s permanent documents
Section VII. The Treasurer
- Manage bank account and all funds, collect membership fees, and maintain all financial records of the Association
- Prepare budgets and monitor fiscal matters related to all the Association events
- Prepare a detailed annual financial report and submit it to the Board for review and approval
- File tax returns if applicable
ARTICLE VI. COMMITEES OF THE ASSOCIATION
Section I. Advisory Committee
The Association shall have at least three (3) advisors, appointed and approved by the Board, who are residents of the Hampton Roads region. The Advisors shall provide advice and counsel to the Association on its legal, operational, and other pertinent matters. Advisors may be invited to attend the Board meetings. An advisor can also recommend others to join the committee due to the need of their expertise.
Section II. Ad Hoc Committee(s)
The Board may create one or more ad hoc committees, which shall be chaired by the Officer responsible for a particular task, and shall be filled by volunteers from the general membership in so far as possible. Appointment of such committees shall be approved by two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the members of the Board.
ARTICLE VII. MEETINGS
Section I. The Board shall call an annual meeting open to all Members, called the General Assembly, held around the same time as the Lunar Year Celebration Event. Members will be notified at least thirty (30) days in advance of the annual meeting.
Section II. Other special general membership meeting of the Association may be called at any time by the Board, provided approval by two-thirds (2/3) majority of the members of the Board.
Section III. The quorum for the general membership meeting shall be thirty (30%) percent of eligible voting members of the Association present, in person, or by proxy.
Section IV. Regular meetings of the Board shall be held at least quarterly at the time and place selected by the Board or the President. Special meeting should be called upon the request of one-third (1/3) of the Board. Notices of special meeting shall be sent out by the Secretary to each Board member.
Section V. The quorum for the Board meetings shall consist of one-half (1/2) of the total number of Board members of the Association at the time of the meeting.
ARTICLE VIII. DISSOLUTION
Section I. Dissolution of the EVCAA shall occur only upon a unanimous agreement of the Board members, followed by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) majority of the general Members present at a meeting.
Section II. In the event of dissolution of the Association, no assets will be distributed among the Members. All of its property, real and personal, after paying all appropriate claims, shall be transferred or delivered to charity organizations or organizations engaging in activities similar to those conducted by the EVCAA.
ARTICLE IX. AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the By-laws shall be approved by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) majority of the general Members in attendance at any general membership meetings, provided copies of such changes or additions have been circulated to the members via regular mail or e-mail at least fourteen (14) days in advance.
EVCAA By-laws, November 2009